Can I just begin by saying “Thank you”? You have no idea how much I mean that.
You may have heard this many times over, but I had a difficult childhood. Without going into the details, let me just say that I was forced to grow up before my time and, hence, missed out on a lot of my childhood.
And then I found the Harry Potter books.
It’s been more than ten years now, but I still remember the day I bought the “Philosopher’s Stone”, the shop I bought it from, the strange feeling in my stomach as I held it in my hand, the sheer delight I felt while I devoured page after page and the utter conviction that I had found a new obsession after I had read the book three times in a row – without a pause.
The reason I’m thankful to you is that you gave me my childhood back. With your books and those wonderful, wonderful characters, I was able to be a kid again, grow up and do things I had missed on as a kid, with them. You helped me keep my head above the water during some dark times.
I’m eternally grateful –
- For Harry – He showed what it means to be brave and do the right thing.
- For Ron – He showed me what it means to be loyal, to be a good friend.
- For Hermione – She showed me the importance of having a good heart and to care for the ones you love.
- For Neville – He showed me that I didn’t have to be the best at everything to be the best me.
- For Luna – She showed me that it was OK, really, to just be myself.
- For Fred and George – They taught me to never take myself too seriously. Life is too short for that.
- For Dumbledore – He showed me the importance of trust.
- For Snape – He reinforced my belief in true love.
For you – You showed me the power of imagination and tripled my love for the written word.
I am putting this out there on the internet in the hopes that someday you’ll come across this and know that you are loved, admired and appreciated in every corner of the world, and how many lives your books have touched and changed.
I cannot wait to have kids so that I can introduce them to the magical universe of Harry Potter!
Proud Potterhead and member of Dumbledore’s Army.